Sunday, March 27, 2016

Fourth Lake, Chapter 15


Shortly after Judy woke up on Wednesday morning, August 7, 1974 (somebody’s 29th birthday), she turned on the radio and heard the following quote from Senator Barry Goldwater, “Whatever decision he (Nixon) makes, it will be in the best interest of our country.  There has been no decision made.  I have no way of knowing, and we have no way of making nose counts.  I myself have not made up my mind.  And I think I can speak for most of the Senators that they haven’t made up their minds.”

A minute later, there was a knock on the door of her cottage.  She slowly rose from her bed, fully clothed from the day before.  Her hair was a mess.  She was a little hung over from too little eating and too much drinking.  The knock was repeated.

I’m coming.  I’m coming.”

 She reached the door and opened it without thinking.  It was Phil.  Then the events of the previous day came roaring back with a frenzy. 

“Well, I’ve been waiting for you to get here and ...”

“Let me in.  I don’t want to talk out here.”

Judy thought for a second and then shook her head in the afirmative.  She stepped aside and let her husband enter.  Then she closed the door.

“Where the fuck have you been since I found you with whoever?”

“I stayed in a motel in town last night, all alone.  I was thinking how I could explain things to you.”

“OK!  Explain!”

“I am ashamed and embarrassed.  I never wanted you to find out.  I tried to be discreet.  I finally fucked up.”

“Are you telling me you’re queer, that you prefer men?”

 “It’s not so simple.  I love you.  I want you, but I guess I want more.”

“Well, maybe I want more, too.  Do I get to choose as well?”

“Can you be discreet?”

“This is not what I wanted when we married and this is not what I want now.  Who is this person you’re involved with?”

“He and I spoke afterwards and agreed the three of us should meet tomorrow night to discuss how we can deal with this and go forward with our lives.”

“Why not now?”

“It’s not possible.  He had to be somewhere else today.  Tomorrow night for sure.  We’ll talk it all out.  I want you to be happy.  Can’t you wait a little while longer?”

“OK!  Where?”

“Dollar Island.”

“Dollar Island?  Finally!” 

Come back in four weeks, Sunday, April 24, for Chapter 16, the conclusion of Fourth Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment