Sunday, December 25, 2016

Best of Intentions, Chapter 6

Ben is slowly, clumsily, hesitatingly walking through a dense, wooded area, like a forest or a jungle, finding it difficult to maintain his balance.  He's searching for someone or something.  His eyes dart rapidly all over while examining the terrain.  He's dressed as a hunter, but he has no gun.  He shouts "Frank...Frank...Frank," but there is no response. 

Ben wakes up startled.  It's his recurring dream again.  

Ben, Bob and Billy are drinking beer after work at Sereno's Bar.  

"Mexico City?  It ain't safe for an American," said Billy.

"You can't believe everything you hear," responded Ben.  "There're a lot of nice people there.  Besides, this project I'm working on with a Mexican professor is important to me."

"Yeah, and you can look up that Latin doll you met in New York," chuckled Bob.

"I'll never see her again.  I don't even know how to find her."

"So find another.  They're all just as sexy."

Miguel and his colleague and friend, Eduardo, meet in their well-decorated law office.

Eduardo asks, "How is your sister?"

"Very happy.  Lately, she's been writing some American she met on our last trip to New York.  Now she wants to invite him here for Christmas."

"You're joking.  You can't let her do that.  It can only lead to trouble.  These Americans!  I don't know why she won't see me again?  It would be good if you could make her understand what's best for her."

"I don't interfere with her life.  She's her own woman.  What she wants, I support.  I can do nothing to help you.  I agree this American is a mistake, but she'll learn, perhaps the hard way."

On December 23, 1939, Rita and Miguel wait nervously for their guests to arrive at the passenger terminal at Balbuena Military Airport, near Mexico City.  Finally, Betty Sobel, Miguel's American girlfriend, comes through the gate.  She's young, gorgeous, overdressed and wears too much perfume and makeup.  Upon seeing Miguel, she rushes up and kisses him passionately.

"Easy, baby.  We've plenty of time," Miguel admonishes.  "Rita, I'd like you to meet Miss Betty Sobel.  Betty, this is my sister, Senora Rita Chavez Ramirez."

"Welcome to Mexico City, Betty.  It is a pleasure to meet you.  Did you see my friend, Ben Johnson, on the flight?"

"Who?"

Just then Ben appears at the gate on his way to spending a Merry Christmas with Rita in Mexico City. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment