Monday, February 27, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 8

The day after Christmas 1939 finds Ben, Rita, Miguel and Betty at a busy outdoor market near Rita's house in Mexico City.  The Americans are shopping for presents and souvenirs.  They split into two groups, Ben and Rita go off one way, leaving Betty and Miguel alone.  There are many shops to visit and many people fill the area.

Suddenly, Miguel and Betty meet up with Raquel, Miguel's very attractive local girlfriend, who's not pleased to see Miguel with another woman.  Raquel and Miguel converse in Spanish which Betty, of course, doesn't understand.

"Raquel, what a nice surprise.  How are you?"

"I've been calling you for days and you've been ignoring me."

"I'm sorry.  I've been at my sister's for Christmas."

"Really?  I know this woman is not your sister."

Betty is not happy at being virtually ignored by the other two, especially as she doesn't understand Spanish.  She forces herself into the conversation.

"Hi.  My name's Betty.  And you?"

Ignoring Betty, Raquel responds to Miguel again in Spanish.

"A gringa.  What are you up to?  You don't return my calls.  You tell me you're at your sister's.  And now you're here in the market holding hands with this puta."

Betty responds, "Excuse me, missy.  I may not speak Spanish, but I know a few words.  And I'm not going to take that from some spic bitch."

Raquel, finally turning to Betty, responds in English, "Repeat that, you cunt, and I'll rip every strand of your fake blonde hair out of your head."

The two women are virtually nose to nose in mutual dislike.  A crowd gathers to witness the spectacle about to occur.  Miguel acts fast grabbing Betty's arm, pulling her away and out of danger.

When they reach Rita's house, Miguel pushes Betty into her bedroom and closes the door.

Miguel raises his voice, "Who the hell do you think you are using that awful word, spic?  I know she wasn't polite, but you've no right to say it.  That word refers to all of us, me, Rita, everyone here in Mexico.  I won't accept it."

"I can't believe you're defending her.  She called me puta and I'm the one at fault."

"I guess I don't know you, Betty.  I didn't realize you are a bigot."

"A bigot?  You're crazy.  I can't be a bigot.  I'm Jewish."

Later, Ben is in his bedroom organizing everything he bought at the market when there is a knock on the door.
 
"Come in," says Ben.  The last person he expected is Betty.

"I've got to talk to someone or I'll go mad.  You're elected."

"What's the matter?"

"I got into a fight with Miguel.  He called me a bigot.  Can you believe that?  Me, Betty Sobel."

"What happened?"

"We ran into his spic girlfriend at the market and..."

"Please don't say that.  I care a lot about Rita and her brother and all the other people I've met here and that's an ugly word."

"No, I didn't mean Rita or Miguel.  I was talking about this woman who called me puta."

"That was wrong, but what you said was insulting to a whole people, not just that woman.  You should apologize to Miguel."

"I can't believe this.  I thought I'd at least get some sympathy from a fellow-American, but I was wrong."

The following day, the four are back at the airport for Ben and Betty's return trip to New York City.  Betty and Miguel haven't spoken since their fight.  Meanwhile, Ben and Rita are having difficulty facing their impending separation.  They sit side by side, holding hands, waiting for the inevitable announcement to board the plane.
 
Rita, with tears in her eyes, says, "I'll miss you very much.  These days have touched me.  I feel alive again...for the first time since my husband died.  When will I see you again?"

"I feel the same.  I've been alone for too long...since my...  Come to New York again next summer, for the opera and baseball."

"It's a date."

A few days later, on New Year's Eve, a party is in full swing at the White House in Washington, D.C.  General Wharton and Secretary of War Stimson are having a private conversation while drinking whiskey.

General Wharton says, "I think the president should know about Karchevsky.  I got this from very good sources and it could be dangerous."

"It's hard to believe.  Mexico financing something of that significance, right under our noses.  The President won't be easily persuaded."

"It's his call, but first he's got to have the facts and it's your job to give it to him."

"I'll give it to him when the time is right.  But for now, he has a lot on his plate.  In the mean time, your people need to stay on top of this."
 
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment