Sunday, March 26, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 9

In July of 1940, Ben travels from Oswego to the New York Municipal Airport to greet Rita and her cousin, Maria, who is on her first visit to the Big Apple.  He carries flowers for both women. Ben and Rita embrace.  

"It's been a long time, Rita." 

"I missed you, Ben.  I'd like you to meet my cousin, Maria."

"A pleasure, Maria.  Welcome to New York."

The next couple of days are a whirlwind of activities, including trips to the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Central Park, Yankee Stadium, and the Opera House.  Before retiring for bed at their hotel on the third night, Rita and Maria have a heart to heart.

"Tomorrow, Ben and I are going to Oswego to have some time alone.  There we can find out about each other." 

"Are you sure you know what you are doing?"

"I know what I am doing.  But, you must never let Miguel know about this."

"I love you, Rita, and I trust you.  Ben is a kind man and I want you to be a happy woman, which you haven't been for many years. When your husband died, a bit of you died as well.  It seems with Ben you have been reborn."

"Ben makes me want to live again, not just go through the motions.  A couple of days in Oswego will tell me what I need to know."

"Go with God, Rita."  They embrace.

Early the following morning, Rita and Ben enter Grand Central Station and board a train for Oswego.  A number of hours later they arrive at the train station on West Utica Street, near the high school.  Ben walks Rita to his car parked in the station's lot.  They drive across the Utica Street Bridge (over the Oswego River) and turn left at East Third Street.  When they reach East Oneida Street, Ben parks the car in front of his modest white house on the corner.  Before entering, Maria and Ben cross the street to pray at the Catholic church in the East Side Park.

Ben gives Rita a quick tour of his house.  On the main floor is a living room, dining room and kitchen.  They climb the stairs to the second floor where Ben's bedroom is.  

After having seen the house, Rita says, "It's nice and cozy."

"You mean it's a dump."

"No.  I like it."

"My ex-wife, Paula, gets all the credit.  She decorated the house. After the divorce, she didn't want to live here anymore, so I got everything and I've changed nothing."

Rita notices the closed door of a room on the second floor overlooking the street.

"What room is that?"

"Nobody's," says Ben, suddenly solemn.  Then, quickly recovering, he asks, "Are you hungry?"

"Sure."

"I know the perfect place.  Let's go."

Back in his car, they drive down East Oneida Street past the public library.  Ben turns right on East First Street and then left on East Bridge Street.  Passing over a second bridge over the same river, Rita gets a good view of Lake Ontario to her right.  After traveling along several blocks of the commercial district on the west side of town, Ben turns right so Rita can see the park located nearby. There, he drives past, without noticing, Paula who is walking her beagle. However, his ex-wife notices Ben with an unknown woman by his side.  Her eyes follow the car until it disappears from her view.      

  

No comments:

Post a Comment