Sunday, May 28, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 11

Sunshine seeps into Sunshine Cabin number 7, not far from the southern shore of Lake Ontario, just west of Oswego.  Ben and Rita, both naked, are asleep on their bed with Rita's tussled hair across Ben's right shoulder.  When light finally hits his eyes, he awakens and stares at the beautiful woman lying next to him. Finally, she opens her eyes and smiles.

"Good morning, Rita.  I love you."

"I love you, too."

"I'm so relaxed," said Ben.  "I haven't felt this way...since forever. What are we going to do?  See each other every six months?  I couldn't bear it."

"What should we do?"

"There's only one solution.  I can retire at the end of the year, move to Mexico City and we'd get married.  It'll be easier for us that way. Marry me, Rita, please!"

"Yes, my love, I'll marry you." 

They embrace again, start kissing again, and start making love all over again, in the same passionate way they did the night before, as if they have all the time in the world.

A few months later, Ben is sitting at his desk in his empty classroom at OHS looking at the papers his students have just left him to grade.  Marilyn enters looking perturbed.  She closes the door behind her and walks over to Ben.

"I heard you put in your retirement papers.  Why?  You love teaching.  It's all you've got."

"You're wrong, Marilyn.  I've found someone.  I'm going to get married and move away."

"What?  I don't believe you.  When did this happen?"

"I met a woman...a wonderful woman...and in January I'm moving to Mexico City.  I'm very much in love."

"That's crazy.  You've lived here your whole life.  How could you give it all up and move to another country for a woman you just met?  People love you here. You don't have to go."

"You're a friend, Marilyn.  I appreciate that, but I'm in love for the first time since what happened to Frank.  It's a second chance at life and I'm going for it with everything I've got."

"That's the first time I've heard you say your son's name since the accident."

"Yes and I don't have those terrible dreams anymore.  It's because of Rita."

"You're full of names today.  I'm sorry you didn't give me a fair chance.  I love you and I know I could make you happy and you wouldn't have to give up everything."

Frustrated, Marilyn storms out of the room and slams the door behind her.

Meanwhile, Miguel is in Rita's bedroom, pacing as he talks.

"It's crazy.  It won't work.  I give it a month and then he'll leave you.  No American's going to abandon his precious country, even for a woman."

"I don't agree, but even if it's true, I must take this chance.  I've been alone for too long.  I can't give him up.  What would you have me do, go live there?  Ben's willing to try.  Give him a chance, my brother.  Please."

"Of course, I'll give him a chance.  I'll do anything for you.  And if you love him, he must be special.  I just don't want to see you hurt."

"Sometimes you must risk getting hurt to find happiness.  I love Ben very much."






No comments:

Post a Comment