Sunday, June 11, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 12

"I don't want another big church wedding," says Rita to her cousin, Maria.  "I want something simple and refined.  We'll do it here at my house with a few friends and relatives."

"Whatever you want, Rita.  It's your day, yours and Ben's."

"You must go with me to choose something tasteful to wear.  Not white, but elegant."

For Thanksgiving, 1940, Ben goes to his brother Dave's home in Syracuse.  While his wife, Peggy, cooks the traditional turkey and stuffing, Ben talks politics with Dave and his eighteen year-old son, Harry.  

"So, Ben, have you accepted that Roosevelt will be president again, for the third time?" 

"Of course.  I believe in democracy.  I just hope he has enough wisdom to keep the American people from getting involved in the war."

"It won't be the same with you so far away, Ben.  I guess we won't see you for a while."

"I promise I'll come back as often as I can.  I'll miss all of you."

Harry adds that, "I think it's kind of neat you're be going to live in Mexico.  Can you speak Spanish, Uncle Ben?"

"I'm gonna learn."

On Christmas eve, Ben walks toward the entrance of his church in Oswego as snow is gently falling.  There is about an inch of accumulation on the ground.  Traditional Christmas music emanates from inside. The street is empty as he arrives late. On the steps of the church Ben notices a solitary figure approaching from the opposite direction.  It's his ex-wife, Paula.  When she sees Ben, she stops and they stare at each other for a moment, without either saying a word.  Then Paula continues towards the open doorway followed at a short distance by Ben.  After they both enter the church, the door closes behind them.  

Soon it will be 1941 and much will change for Ben and the rest of America.  






No comments:

Post a Comment