Sunday, September 24, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 15

In the week after Pearl Harbor, Ben's nephew, Harry Johnson, enlists in the United States Army near his home in Syracuse.

A week later, Secretary of State Cordell Hull arrives at the White House for a meeting with President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  

Hull opens the meeting with "The American people suffered a terrible shock on December seventh, Mr. President, and they couldn't tolerate another.  Therefore, my staff and I put together a report as to where another such sneak attack could come from in order to crush it before it happens."

"I'm not sure I follow you.  We know who our enemies are."

"Yes, of course, but our enemies could have allies lying in wait.  I want you to think about...Mexico."

"Don't be ridiculous."  

"Let's look at the facts, Mr. President.  1836: Americans living in northern Mexico revolt and form the independent Republic of Texas.  1845: Texas joins the Union, we invade Mexico and seize New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah.  1914: We invade Mexico and occupy the City of Vera Cruz for six months. 1916: Again, we invade Mexico, this time looking for Pancho Villa. 1917: Germany offers Mexico its assistance in retrieving its lost territories if it enters the Great War on Germany's side.  Recently, former President Cardenas maintained cordial relations with Nazi Germany.  And now Mexico has a growing trade relationship with Germany.  Isn't this enough for us to beware of Mexico?"

"I'm not convinced.  Tell me something about Mexico I don't know."

Hull takes some papers out of his briefcase and places them in front of the president.

"This report was passed to me by the Secretary of War, which he received from reliable sources in the Department of the Army. There's a scientist in Mexico named Julius Karchevsky who's doing some hush-hush research on a new type of bomb.  He's a Soviet emigre who went there with Trotsky in '37 and is now working for the Mexican government.  Years before he was a colleague of Einstein.  Now why would the Mexicans be doing this?  They have no enemies.  No need to develop super bombs.  There can be only one explanation: they're in league with the Japanese and/or the Germans.  We don't need a sneak attack from across the Rio Grande, Mr. President."

"This is preposterous.  Unbelievable.  However, I will study your report, but I want independent confirmation.  I want new people to check out this Karchevsky.  Make it a high priority.  If it's true, we need to act fast."

"Very well, Mr. President."

After Hull leaves his office, Roosevelt opens his desk drawer and takes out a letter in an envelope with the return address showing the name Albert Einstein.  He starts to re-read the letter dated August 2, 1939.

Meanwhile, Ben and Maria are lying in their bed in Mexico City.

"My country's at war," says Ben, "and I'm not there.  Dave told me they need able-bodied men at his factory.  Maybe I should go there for a while and help out."

"Don't say that, Ben.  I couldn't bear for you to leave me.  I'd be afraid something would happen and you wouldn't come back."

"Don't be silly.  Nothing would happen to me."

"Factories are targets.  You could be killed."

"We're too far away for the Japs and Krauts to bomb us.  I'd be okay."

"Anything could happen in a war, like sabotage.  In Mexico, we're safe.  Maybe you could do something here, perhaps at the American Embassy. Please don't go, my love.  Please don't go."

She puts her arms around him and smothers him with kisses.   

No comments:

Post a Comment