Sunday, October 29, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 16

President Roosevelt is in a conference at the White House with British Prime Minister Winston Churchill when the phone rings.  

"Excuse me, Winston...Oh, yes, Mr. Secretary.  I understand.  You received confirmation about this Karchevsky matter...Yes...You need to go to Mexico City right away and confront their Foreign Secretary.  Lay our cards on the table and express how intolerable this is.  It has to end immediately.  Come to the White House as soon as you return.  Have a safe trip." 

After hanging up the phone he returns to Churchill.

"We received some intelligence that Mexico is plotting to join the Axis."

"I can't believe it.  This is a diversion from our focus on Hitler.  We can't afford to spend time looking for the boogie man under the bed when we have an actual full-blown monster running around Europe."

"I appreciate your point, but we need assurances that our southern border is not in jeopardy.  I need to be convinced that nothing sinister is going on in Mexico.  Now, where were we?"  

Secretary of State Hull enters a conference room at the Mexican Foreign Ministry in Mexico City.  His counterpart, Ezequiel Padilla Peneloza, is waiting for him.

"Welcome to Mexico City, Secretary Hull.  Let me first express our deepest sympathy over the recent loss of life as a result of the Japanese attack at Hawaii.  We wish your country well in your war efforts."

"Thank you, Secretary Peneloza.  As a matter of fact, I am here regarding our war efforts."

"I don't understand.  We are a neutral country."

"Then I need you to explain your government's connection to a Soviet emigre named Julius Karchevsky.  We have reason to believe he's doing research in Mexico that may be harmful to the United States." 

"I have never heard of this man.  Furthermore, my government is not engaged in anything that would be harmful to your country."

"Perhaps you'd like to make further inquiries before making such a definitive statement."

"That is not necessary.  I know what is and what is not going on in my country.  An emigre with such a name would not be invisible to us.  Do you have anything else to discuss?"

"No."

"Then our meeting is adjourned."

Ben and Rita sit on a sofa in their backyard on a gorgeous night.   The stars and the moon are out and she rests her head on his shoulder.

"It's so beautiful tonight.  I feel wonderful," she said.

"I wish it could stay like this."

"It's peaceful here.  I know you're worried about your country, your family, your friends, but you're doing something to help at the American Embassy."

"Maybe I could do more."

"What's most important to me is that Mexico is not involved in the war.  Maybe that's not fair, but I'm selfish.  I want us to live our lives with love, not war."

Ben and Maria kiss softly.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment