Sunday, November 19, 2017

Best of Intentions, Chapter 17

In the Oval Office of the White House, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt dictates a letter to Mexican President Manuel Avila Comacho.

"My dear President Comacho:  Inasmuch as neutrality is the stated policy of your government in regard to the current war between the United States of America and its enemies, the Empire of Japan and the German Reich, I require immediate and satisfactory assurances that there exists no threat to the United States from the project currently funded by your government and directed by the scientist, Julius Karchevsky.  If I do not receive such assurances, I will consider it my duty as President of the United States of America to consider drastic measures to protect the safety of the American people.  I look forward to your earliest response.  Sincerely, FDR."

In his office at Los Pinos, President Comacho dictates his response to Roosevelt's letter.

"My dear President Roosevelt:  I can assure you that the government of Mexico is not funding any project that may be deemed injurious to the United States of America.  Furthermore, I have no information on anyone either in the employ of my government or residing in Mexico named Julius Karchevsky.  In addition, I resent your threats against my country.  We want to live in peace with our neighbors.  However, if and when Mexico is confronted by, as you say, "drastic measures," it cannot back away.  Your country has invaded Mexico several times and the government and people of Mexico will not stand idly by if you choose to do it again.  Sincerely, Manuel Avila Comacho."

Ben and Rita enjoy a romantic dinner in an upscale restaurant in Mexico City.  They are jovial as they eat, drink, laugh and talk.  Their smiles are genuine.

President Roosevelt meets privately with the Secretary of War, Henry Stimson.

"I am ordering you to prepare a military plan to invade Mexico within three months from today for the express purpose of capturing a scientist named Julius Karchevsky, who is currently in Mexico City, and bringing him to Washington.  I sincerely hope this won't be necessary, but we must be prepared to move on this.  It is not my wish to occupy Mexico or cause unnecessary destruction or loss of life, but we must make sure we don't have another sneak attack on our hands."

"We will carry out your orders, Mr. President."

"For the next three months, this is your highest priority.  Understand?"

"Yes, Mr. President."





No comments:

Post a Comment