Sunday, December 3, 2017

So, Who's Van Johnson?

Van Johnson "was the embodiment of the boy-next-door wholesomeness (that) made him a popular Hollywood (movie) star in the '40s and '50s."  His big break came in 1943 when he was cast in A Guy Named Joe with Spencer Tracy and Irene Dunn.  This was followed by such hit movies as Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) again with Spencer Tracy, Between Two Women (1945) with Marilyn Maxwell, Thrill of a Romance (1945) with Esther Williams, and Week-End at the Waldorf (1945) with Lana Turner.  He tied Bing Crosby as the top box office movie star in 1945.

In 1954, Van Johnson starred in the film The Caine Mutiny along with Humphrey Bogart, Fred MacMurray, and Jose Ferrer.  It is the fictional story of a mutiny aboard a U.S. Navy ship during World War II.  (There has never been a mutiny aboard a U.S. Navy ship.)  The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards (but won none), including Best Picture (lost to On The Waterfront) and Best Actor (Bogart lost to Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront).  

Prior to the mutiny, Lieutenant Keefer (MacMurray), the communications officer of the USS Caine and the villain of the story, tries to convince Lieutenant Meryk (Van Johnson), the executive officer, that the ship's captain, Captain Queeg (Bogart), is paranoid and unfit for duty.  During a violent storm at sea, Queeg, who was "frozen, either by indecision or fear," is unable to issue an order as to what to do.  Meryk takes command of the Caine (over the objections of Queeg) and the ship survives the storm.  

When the Caine returns to Pearl Harbor, Meryk is put on trial for mutiny and is defended by Lieutenant Greenwald (Ferrer).  In order to save his client, Greenwald reluctantly but relentlessly cross-examines Queeg causing him to suffer a "mental breakdown" while on the witness stand.

It was during the summer of 1994 that I crossed paths with Van Johnson.  I had taken my nine year-old son Bret to Chicago to visit relatives, but also to see a baseball game at historic Wrigley Field, home of the Cubs.  We were returning to New York, waiting for a flight from O'Hare Airport.  I was standing in line at the check-in counter by our gate when I heard a familiar voice behind me.  I turned around and instantly recognized seventy-eight year-old Van Johnson.  

When I returned to my seat in the waiting area by Bret, I kept my eyes on the Hollywood star.  As Van Johnson had a first class ticket, he was the first passenger to board the plane.  Next came an announcement allowing customers with children to board early.  I jumped at the opportunity and we followed a young woman pushing a baby stroller.        

When Bret and I entered the plane's cabin I saw Van Johnson sitting on the right side of the plane in the first row seat by the window.  All the stewardesses were hovering over him and I could tell by the smile on his face he was enjoying their attention.  As we passed by, I reached out to shake his hand.

I said, "Mr. Johnson, I enjoyed your performance in The Caine Mutiny."

He responded in jest, "Do you want your money back?"  I didn't have the heart to tell him I had seen it multiple times on television for free.  

As Bret and I moved down the aisle to our seats, I overheard the young woman in front of me talking to herself.  "So, that's Van Johnson...So, who's Van Johnson?"  I was too shocked by her ignorance to tell her.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment