Sunday, December 16, 2018

Black Baseball Players

When I was born in 1945, there were no black baseball players in the American nor National Leagues.  Why?  They weren't good enough?  No.  It was simply the belief that blacks and whites shouldn't or couldn't play together on the same field at the same time.  In other words, prejudice.

Speaking of prejudice, my parents consistently used the word "schvartze" when referring to black people.  They said it only meant black in Yiddish, but I could sense in the way they said the word it meant something more.  Would I learn this from them?

Segregation in baseball changed forever in 1947 when Branch Rickey, an owner (and General Manager) of the Brooklyn Dodgers of the National League, decided on a novel way to improve his ball club.  He would hire a black ballplayer by the name of Jackie Robinson.  Rickey knew he needed not only a good player, but also one who could handle the "harsh criticism from fans, other players, and ever his own teammates."  

Jackie Robinson had such a successful year in 1947 he was voted Rookie of the Year.  He continued playing with the Dodgers for 10 years before retiring in 1956.  Jackie Robinson is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

In 1964, I attended a speech Jackie Robinson gave on the Penn campus regarding civil rights in America.  Afterwards, he gave me his autograph which I treasured for many years, especially after he died in 1972 at the age of 53.  Years later I gave the autograph to my son Bret.  I wonder where it is?

Also in 1947, Bill Veeck, owner of the Cleveland Indians of the American League, signed another black baseball player, Larry Doby.  Three of his teammates refused to shake his hand, so Veeck got rid of them.  Two years later, the Indians added a second black player, Luke Easter.  

In 1957, I was at a minor league baseball game in Rochester, New York sitting behind the third base dugout (compliments of my Aunt Doris who had season tickets).  The same Luke Easter was playing for the visiting team and had just cracked his bat.  At the end of the inning, the equipment manager rose to the top of the dugout and offered me the damaged bat.  I kept it for 5 years until my mother gave it away...without asking me.

In 1951, the New York Giants promoted a 20 year-old black ballplayer named Willie Mays.  After making out his first 12 times at bat, Mays hit a home run and his statistics started to blossom.  Like Jackie Robinson, he too was voted Rookie of the Year.  

Since Willie Mays was the new sensation on my favorite team in my favorite sport, he became my favorite player, my sports idol to this day.  I remember how thrilled I was seeing him in person for the first time at old Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia in 1964.  Another time I saw Willie Mays hit one of his 660 home runs.  He is considered one of the greatest players of all time and is also in the Baseball Hall of Fame.  

In 1956, the old Milwaukee Braves added a black player named Wes Covington.  His 45 home runs and 139 runs batted in (RBIs) were instrumental in their winning the National League pennant in both 1957 and 1958.  

I met Wes Covington on June 30, 1960 when he was a member of the Havana Sugar Kings (minor league) baseball team.  They were staying at the same hotel in Rochester where my brother Joel married my sister-in-law Judy.  I'll never forget how a 28 year-old professional baseball player made a 14 year-old fan feel relaxed as we freely conversed for some minutes in the lobby.

I am sure the decisions of Branch Rickey, Bill Veeck and others admitting black baseball players to the Major Leagues affected my attitude toward minorities, civil rights and equal treatment to all in America.  These men deserve a lot of credit for how they changed me and my country for the better.                

1 comment: