Sunday, August 4, 2019

I Got Nowhere Else to Go

An Officer and a Gentleman is a 1982 film drama which won two Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actor, Louis Gossett, Jr., and Best Music, Original Song, "Up Where We Belong," Jack Nitzsche and Buffy Sainte-Marie (Music), Will Jennings (Lyrics).  Debra Winger was nominated for Best Actress, which was won by Meryl Streep for Sophie's Choice.

Richard Gere plays the lead role of Zack Mayo, a recent college graduate who was reluctantly raised by his US Navy Seaman father after his mother committed suicide when he was a boy.  As the story begins, Mayo enters the US Navy Aviation Officer Candidate School (Washington State) where he meets US Marine Gunnery Sergeant Foley (Gossett), his drill instructor, and Paula (Winger), his soon to be townie girlfriend.  

Mayo is at the School to fulfill "his childhood dreams of becoming a Navy pilot as well as to prove to his father that he can make it and in the end (force) his father (to) have to salute (him)."

In the beginning all the candidates are shocked at the harsh treatment meted out by Foley.   Such treatment is "designed to eliminate Officer Candidates who are found to be mentally or physically unfit for commission as an ensign in the United States Navy, which will earn them flight training worth over $1,000,000."    
My brother Paul, who graduated from the US Naval Officer Candidate School in Rhode Island in 1960, related to me how difficult the treatment was.

"Foley rides Mayo mercilessly, believing he lacks motivation and is not a team player.  (However), he also sees potential in Mayo."

During one particular inspection of the barracks, Foley discovers Mayo's side business of selling (to his fellow classmates) pre-shined shoes and belt buckles, things of value.  As a result, Foley hazes Mayo for an entire weekend "in an attempt to make him Drop on Request (DOR)."  In other words, to quit the School.

Foley:  "Why would a slick little hustler like you want to sign up for a gig like this?"

Mayo:  "I want to fly jets, sir."

Foley:  "My grandmother wants to fly jets."

Mayo:  "I wanted it since I was a kid."

Foley:  "I'm not talking about flying.  I'm talking about character."

Mayo:  "I've changed.  I've changed since I've been here."

Foley:  "Ugh!  You've just shined it up.  Tell me what I want to hear.  I want your DOR."

Mayo:  "I ain't gonna quit."  

Foley:  "You're out."

Mayo:  "Don't you do that.  Don't...you...I got nowhere else to go.  I got nowhere else to g...I got nothing else."

Foley, feeling Mayo's desperation, reconsiders his decision.  Afterwards, Mayo demonstrates the potential Foley saw in him, becomes a team player and graduates from the US Naval 
School as An Officer and a Gentleman.            

No comments:

Post a Comment