Sunday, December 8, 2019

The Night God Died

In 1958, while preparing for my bar mitzvah, I was committed to the Jewish religion.  I even thought about becoming a rabbi.  It seemed like a good job.

I believed in God.  It made sense.  How could this amazing world exist without one?

Parallel to my religious activities was my family life, which was dominated by my mother, a very controlling person.  She had rules that had to be obeyed without question or argument.  I found this to be extremely frustrating.  Like a tea kettle has a spout to let off steam, I needed one, too.  But, I didn't.

Rarely, I reached a point in which I blew up, had a temper tantrum.  They were always at home and I was allowed to act out until I calmed down on my own.  But nothing changed.  The rules remained and they had to be followed, without recourse.  (Bill Gates had a similar problem with his mother.  They went to therapy.  We didn't.)

One night, and I don't know how I got there, I found myself in the sanctuary of the Congregation Adath Israel on East Third Street in Oswego.  I was older, in high school, and fed up with the regimentation I was facing from my mother.  I couldn't stand it anymore.  I was literally standing in the dark pleading for God's help.  There was no reply.

Eventually, my father came to take me home.  I realized it was hopeless.  Nobody was listening to me.  There was no God.  

A few years later, I escaped, left home for college.  I finally gained freedom from the prison of my mother's restrictive rules.

While at Penn, I came across the French writer Voltaire who said, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."  That I could relate to.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment