Sunday, March 29, 2020

High School, Chapter 3

It's just after Labor Day and the first day of high school has arrived.  After hanging out with some of my male friends, the bell rings and all students file into the building.

The freshmen report to their home rooms on the third floor where all their classes will be.  By the time I arrive at mine, most seats are occupied.  I find an empty one in the middle of the room, both east and west and north and south.

In front and behind me are unknown guys.  To my left is a male friend.  But to my right is an unknown female.  So so cute with short brown hair.  Her face is not outstanding, but not ugly either.  Dressed in a nondescript blouse and jeans.  I'm looking at her, but she's looking straight ahead at the blackboard.

In a minute the home room teacher (Ms. Fisher) will tell all to be quiet and give us our class assignments.  Here's my chance to initiate conversation with this new female.  I can say hi or something else very clever.  Where's the self-confidence I've been talking about?

Too late.  Ms. Fisher has spoken.  We'll all go to our respective first period classes in two minutes.  We have to remain quiet in our seats waiting for the bell to ring.

At least I learned her name (Ann) when the teacher took attendance.  Nice!  

Maybe I'll run into Ann in one of my classes (I won't).  When we leave our home room, I'm right behind her.  The view is good, but she starts talking to another female.  I've blown my opening gambit.  At the door, Ann turns left and I right.  But...after all, tomorrow is another day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment