Sunday, May 31, 2020

High School, Chapter 5

First period is math and I'm surrounded by boys.  That's OK.  I need to concentrate in class.  Good grades matter.

Second period is Portuguese.  Should be interesting.  A new language.  Just my good fortune I'm sitting next to Delores, the prettiest girl from my old middle school.  She had her pick of boys, certainly not me.  

Before class begins, I try to start a conversation.

"Say, Delores, how was your summer vacation?"

Delores slowly turns in my direction and gives me the impression I am a bug.  Then she slowly turns back.  For a few moments, my self-confidence takes a hit.  Can't win 'em all.  I think of Ann.

When you walk through a storm, keep your head up high...

Third period is home economics class.  My luck changes.  I'm surrounded on three sides by females, Alexandra, Beulah and Carla (the ABC girls).  They are friends and by being a little aggressive I'm included in their little circle.  What a treat.  Some giggling before the teacher arrives.

It was a mixed day, good and bad.  Why do I keep thinking about Delores, when I can think instead of Ann and the ABC girls?  Well, she is the prettiest and most desirable.  On the other hand...

Be happy with what you have...

On the other hand, should I treat Delores as a challenge or just...forgetaboutit     

No comments:

Post a Comment