Sunday, September 27, 2020

High School, Chapter 9

I arrive at Delores's house an hour after school, ready to help the prettiest girl in the freshman class study for tomorrow's Portuguese quiz.  Earlier, when I got to my home, I took a quick shower and changed clothes.  I'm trying to act cool, but it won't be easy.

I ring the bell and soon her mother opens the door.

"Oh, hi, I'm Bennie.  Delores asked me to help her study...ah, with her homework."

Mother shouts: "Delores, your friend's here."

Delores:  "Tell him to come up."

Mother:  "Go on up."

I enter the house and slowly climb the stairs.  When I reach the top, I see Delores at the door of her bedroom.  She gives me a big smile.

Delores:  "Hiya, Bennie.  Come on in."

I enter and she closes the door behind me.  I have never been more nervous in my life.  Her hair, normally down by her shoulders, is piled on top of her head.  Delores has changed her clothes from school, now wearing a light blue t-shirt and a pair of tight-fitting yellow short shorts.  She's barefoot.

Delores:  "So, Bennie, teach me Portuguese.  I gotta pass tomorrow's quiz."

After a shaky start, we settle down and have a productive hour, some of which is spent in idle conversation to get to know each other better.  I can't believe my good fortune.  Afterwards, we have some cookies and milk in the kitchen.

More good news.  Delores gets 80% on the quiz (I get 100).  She is so happy, she kisses me on the cheek after class.

Oh, what a beautiful mornin'
Oh, what a beautiful day
I got a beautiful feelin'
Everything's goin' my way 

No comments:

Post a Comment