Sunday, August 29, 2021

Two Women, Chapter 8

 "Caipirinha" Monica requested when their waiter approached.

"What's that?" Mona responded with curiosity.

"A cocktail made with cachaca, sugar, lime and plenty of ice.  Cachaca's made from sugarcane.  Very popular in Brazil.  Try it."

"Okay.  Make it two."

"That was beautiful what you played tonight.  I was trying to remember where I heard it before."

"Did you see the movie Brief Encounter, a classic British black-and-white film from 1945?"

"Yes.  That's it.  I'm sure that's it.  How long have you been playing the piano?"

"Since I was five.  My parents are both musicians.  They encouraged, but didn't push.  It became my passion.  I really enjoy performing and the travel that comes with it.  What about you?  Why did you become a dentist?"

"Everybody in my family are doctors.  But, I wanted to try something a different...a dentist.  But first, I came here.  America had been my dream since I was little.  And now, I can't imagine going back.  I've been here in Chapel Hill since my undergraduate days."

"Wanna get married and have a family?"

"Not really, not now anyway.  I meet men occasionally, have some fun, but nothing serious.  Serious is my work and my small circle of Brazilian friends in the area.  What about you?"

"Same with me.  My career comes first.  Hard to have a relationship with a man like that.  I've lived in Philly my whole life so I have a lot of friends and family there.  Do you have to be Brazilian to get into that small circle of yours?" 

    


No comments:

Post a Comment