Sunday, October 24, 2021

Pills in the Bag

Some years ago, I was flying from New York (where I was living) to Sao Paulo.  There was a stopover in Miami.  

The departure from New York was delayed by bad weather.  As a result, there was a concern that the flight from Miami would leave without me.  When I arrived in Miami, late at night, I was informed by American Airlines representatives that my flight to Sao Paulo was about to leave and I should run to the gate.

I ran as fast as I could, carrying bags in both hands.  I also had difficulty finding my gate.  When I arrived there, I soon realized I had run for nothing.  The plane remained at the gate while waiting for more passengers from another delayed flight, this one from Boston.

When I arrived the next morning in Sao Paulo, I was in the baggage claim area when I was surprised to hear my name being paged.  I was informed that while I made my flight out of Miami, my bags didn't.  They were still there.

I was promised I would receive my bags the following day.  OK, but included in the bags was my colitis medicine.  That meant I would be without such medicine for a day, perhaps a day and a half.  

I started to panic.  Would the delay in not having my medicine cause me any health problems?  I researched the Internet to find out whether I could buy my medicine locally.  I could...and without a prescription.  Interesting!

I decided I would wait it out and not take the local medicine.  My bags arrived within 24 hours...and I didn't have a colitis attack.  But, I learned my lesson.  NEVER...NEVER...NEVER put my pills in checked bags.  ALWAYS in the carryon.  

Ironically, today I take Brazilian domestically produced colitis medicine, the ones I wouldn't try years ago.  It works well.  

     

1 comment: