Sunday, February 13, 2022

Blood

Blood transfusion (from one human being to another) became a routine clinical practice about one hundred twenty years ago.  The American Red Cross, founded by Clara Barton in 1881, has been collecting blood for this purpose since the 1940s.

I was employed by Joseph E. Seagram & Sons, Inc. from 1968 until 1999.  During that time, it was involved in a variety of public service programs.  

The program I was most supportive of was the American Red Cross annual blood drive.  Seagram would provide space for the Red Cross to set up its employees and equipment on site to accept blood donations from Seagram employee volunteers.

After my first personal experience donating blood, I volunteered to be the blood drive captain for the Tax Department.  I canvassed our small group every year to attempt to get 100% participation.  I never got near that number.

As a reward for my services, I once received a purple and gold Crown Royal travel bag which I used multiple times until it wore out.  

After I started working at the Office of Sponsored Research for The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2008-2013), I again volunteered to be a blood donor.  I received two gifts which I still use.  

I have my red and white bowl out of which I eat my daily dose of oatmeal served with blueberries, cranberries, honey and cinnamon.  I also occasionally wear my white and red long-sleeve t-shirt with the inscription, "A gift that really means something.  Give blood."

Another plus for donating blood is the free beverages and food (orange juice, coffee, crackers, bagels, donuts, danish, etc.) we received after the donation in order to help replenish the donated blood.  

I found the whole process of blood donation painless and made me feel good about myself for helping others.  

However...once...I convinced a colleague, who was hesitant, to finally give blood donation a try.  Afterwards, he almost passed out.  I saved his life by making sure he had the best medical attention before it was too late.

Give Blood!  The life you save could be your own.    


                 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, I remember it well. You passed out and I had to carry you back to the office. Actually, that incident happened the third time I gave blood. It went alright the first two times.

    ReplyDelete