Sunday, April 24, 2022

Abraham's Son, Chapter 4

EXT. BEHIND DINER ­ AFTERNOON

SARA and co­worker, MARIA, sexy looking Hispanic woman about SARA's age, smoke and talk. 

SARA: I hate guys who think they can just come on to any girl while she's workin'.  I wish they'd leave me alone.  

MARIA: Lighten up.  That guy's a regular.  Doesn't hit on everybody.  It's not like you got a boyfriend or something.  Once in a while you should take a chance.  That's how husbands and wives meet.  

SARA: Who wants a husband?  Look, I saw first hand what my mother had to put up with.  That's not how I see my life. 

MARIA: Okay.  So, most men are dogs.  But, there are some nice guys out there.  I've met a few.  Don't want to spend the rest of my life waiting tables.  One day I'm gonna meet some guy who's gonna take care of me.

SARA: Good luck.  

MARIA: So, you don't want a husband.  What about a boyfriend?  Against them, too? 

SARA: Yeah, I'd like one, but I think it would be better to find one at church. 

MARIA: Good luck.  (pause)  Say, Bonnie and me are goin' out tonight and have some beers and some fun.  Come with us?  

SARA: No thanks.  I got plans. 

MARIA: Yeah, well, maybe next time.  

INT. DINER ­ LATE AFTERNOON

SARA returns to diner and works in dining room.

EXT. STREET IN FRONT OF DINER ­ NIGHT

SARA exits diner and walks towards bus stop.  

EXT. BUS STOP ­ NIGHT

SARA arrives at bus stop and waits for her bus to arrive.  Eventually bus arrives and she boards bus. 

EXT. BUS ­ NIGHT

SARA takes a seat inside bus.  She looks out window as bus goes along. 

EXT. SECOND BUS STOP ­ NIGHT

SARA exits bus at her stop and walks down street.

EXT. IN FRONT OF HER APARTMENT BUILDING ­ NIGHT

SARA enters her apartment building. 

INT. SARA'S APARTMENT ­ NIGHT

SARA enters her small, simply furnished studio apartment.  She unwraps sandwich she brought from work.  She sits in chair, turns on TV and eats her sandwich. 

ROBERT OSBORNE (O.S.): Hi, I'm ROBERT OSBORNE and tonight's classic movie presentation from 1942 is Now, Voyager starring Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains and Gladys George.

Phone rings.  SARA lets it ring many times before finally answering it. 

SARA: Hello? 

DAD (O.S.): Hello, SARA, that you? 

SARA: Yes, DAD, what do ya want? 

DAD (O.S.): What do I want?  I want you to come home.  Your mother's sick with worry.  You realize what you did to her when you left?   Especially 'cause you went off to New York where you know nobody.  Every night she cries herself to sleep.  But, she'll forgive you if you come home. 

SARA: DAD, I'm thirty.  I got a right to my own life.  I can take care of myself, even here.  Got a job, make enough money and I know people.  I even have my very own place where I do whatever I want.  You and mom have to move on. 

DAD (O.S.): And who's protecting you in this place?  No husband yet I presume? 

SARA: Don't need a husband.  I can take care of myself.  It's the 21st Century.  A woman can take care of herself. 

DAD (O.S.): It's not just mom that misses you.  Your brothers and sister as well. 

SARA: Yeah, how are they? 

DAD (O.S.): All fine.  Miss you a lot.  I don't understand.  Everybody thinks Michigan's a great place to live.  What's the matter with you?  Why do you got to be different? 

SARA: 'Cause I am different.  Don't you get it.  Been different my whole life.  I don't fit.  Not an easy thing to live with.  At least here I can breathe.  I can be myself without others looking over my shoulder all the time.  

DAD (O.S.): This is all bullshit you're saying.  We've treated you fine your whole life and this is what we get in return.  Tomorrow, go to church and ask God to forgive you for what you're sayin'.  I hope you do go to church regular. 

SARA: Yeah, I do.  There's a beautiful one a couple a blocks away.  The FATHER's a nice man.  Sometimes we talk after mass, not a confession, but just somebody I can talk to when I need to. 

DAD (O.S.): Nice to know some of what we taught you has gotten into your thick skull. 

SARA: Can you talk nice?  Always with the digs.  How's that supposed to make me feel? 

DAD (O.S.): Come on.  Just a figure of speech. Do I gotta watch every word comes out of my mouth?  Not an easy thing to do.  

SARA: You're not too old to learn new tricks.  Might make some people a little happier.  Like those in your family.  

DAD (O.S.): I do the best I can.  Are you so perfect? 

SARA: No, I'm not.  But we can all get better.  But, I need to be away, at least for a while until I get into a better place.  Tell mom I'm fine.  Maybe one day she can come visit me.  Things are slowly getting better.  I like my job.  It's easy.  Waitressing is waitressing.  Michigan, New York, it's the same.  The managers are okay.  The customers are nice.  Good tipping.  I like having my own place.  Do what I want when I'm here.  Look, Dad, I got to go.  Be good to mom! 

DAD (O.S.): I'm always good to your mother.

SARA: Yeah, sure. 

DAD (O.S.): What's that supposed to...

SARA hangs up the phone and returns to eat her sandwich and watch the movie on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment