Sunday, June 26, 2022

Abraham's Son, Chapter 6

INT. SANCTUARY OF SYNAGOGUE ­ DAY

The following Saturday morning, ABRAHAM is at his synagogue participating in services.  As they end, SANDY GERBER, a new friend of his cousin SYLVIA, approaches ABRAHAM.  She is an attractive woman, about ABRAHAM's age and a little overweight.  

SANDY: ABRAHAM!

A surprised ABRAHAM hears his name called out by this stranger.

ABRAHAM: Yes, I'm ABRAHAM.  Can I help you? 

SANDY: I hope so.  I'm SANDY, a friend of SYLVIA's.  She pointed you out to me.

ABRAHAM looks in the direction of his cousin who looks back at him with a smile on her face. 

ABRAHAM: Yeah, well, that was very nice of her.  I believe you're new to the community. 

SANDY: I am, but I'm feeling more at home every day.  You know, it's not easy to move, especially after having to deal with my husband's passing.  I understand you're a widower. 

ABRAHAM: Yeah, my wife died a long time ago.  It was nice meeting you, SANDY, but I really have to go. 

SANDY: Okay, but I'm having an open house tomorrow and I'd really like you to come.  Here's my address.

SANDY hands him a leaflet invitation with her address and directions to her home. 

ABRAHAM: Thanks a lot.  We'll see.

He attempts to leave, but she gently pulls him back. 

SANDY: You won't believe all the food I'm having: all kinds of bagels, butter, cream cheese, lox, nova, creamed herring, potato salad, tuna salad, challah, kugel, potato latkes, rugelach, hamantaschen, matzo brei and brisket.  It's too good a treat to miss.  

ABRAHAM Yeah, it is.  But, ah, we'll see. 

ROBERT: Excuse me, madam, but is that you ABRAHAM?

ROBERT SILVER arrives where SANDY and ABRAHAM are talking.  He was a friend of ABRAHAM in high school and they have not seen each other since then. 

ABRAHAM: Yes, I'm ABRAHAM SHAPIRO.  Do I know you?

ROBERT: I hope you remember me.  ROBERT SILVER, Cardozo High School? 

ABRAHAM: Oh my God, ROBERT SILVER.  Is that really you?  You're not eighteen any more. 

SANDY: ROBERT, I'm SANDY and I'm having an open house tomorrow and...

ABRAHAM and ROBERT embrace and ignore SANDY, who takes a hint and walks away disappointed. 

ROBERT: Wow!  How long has it been?  Forty years, give or take. What are you doing here?  This is not your family's synagogue.

ABRAHAM: Yeah, you remember.  Well, I started coming here many years ago after my parents died.  I like it better.  And you, what are you doing here? 

ROBERT: Well, this is where I had my bar mitzvah. 

ABRAHAM: I don't think I knew you then.  We met at Cardozo, didn't we? 

ROBERT: Right.  In gym class.  We were playing basketball and were guarding each other, maybe too well.

ABRAHAM: So, tell me what you've been up to for the last forty years. 

ROBERT: Okay.  If you want.  I think you may remember I went to Princeton. 

ABRAHAM: I do. 

ROBERT: Yeah, it turned out great, even though I was one of very few Jews.  Great education, beautiful place.  Have you ever visited?  It's not far.

ABRAHAM: Sad to say, no. 

ROBERT: Well, afterwards I went to Penn Law in Philly and after passing the D.C. bar I started working for a firm in Washington.  A couple of years later I got married and had three kids, all grown by now with grand kids.  Unfortunately, after we became empty  nesters, my wife wanted a divorce.  Claimed I was married to my work.  She may have been right. I'm a partner now in that same firm and we're very involved in politics.  What about you, ABRAHAM? 

ABRAHAM: Well, I went to Queens College where I met my wife Helen...she grew up in Forest Hills.  Studied accounting.  After graduation, I got a job with  one of the big 8, got my CPA and then moved into the private sector.  Helen and I married.  Several years later she got pregnant, but there were complications.  She...she died in childbirth...along with the baby.  It was tough.  My folks were alive then and I had my faith in God. 

ROBERT: That was a bad break.  I'm sorry. 

ABRAHAM: Thanks, but that was a long time ago.  I've dealt with it.  What did you mean about politics? 

ROBERT: My firm works as a consultant for various Republican candidates.  That's why I'm here in New York until Wednesday.  I've a bunch of meetings lined up.  So, I decided to come here to the old stomping grounds.  Down in D.C., I regularly attend services on shabbos.  You mentioned work.  What do you do? 

ABRAHAM: Well, for the last ten years or so, I've been the Assistant Controller at White Rock Beverages here in Queens.  It's not big like Coke and Pepsi, but we do all right.  It's very convenient from my home, which is the home I grew up in.  I'm never gonna leave Queens.  

ROBERT: Maybe one day I can coax you to Washington for a visit.

ABRAHAM: That'd be nice.  I'd be happy to come, to catch up on old times.  And they were good old times. 

ROBERT: Sorry, but I have somewhere to go now.  Let's exchange phone numbers so we don't get lost for the next 40 years. 

ABRAHAM: Good idea.

ABRAHAM and ROBERT exchange phone numbers.  They give  each other another hug.  

ROBERT: I'm gonna talk to the RABBI before I leave.  But, please, let's talk soon.  We were good friends once.

ABRAHAM nods in agreement.  ROBERT walks towards RABBI.  ABRAHAM head towards the exit and runs into SANDY again.

SANDY: That seemed like a nice reunion.  You two knew each other a while back? 

ABRAHAM: Yeah! 

SANDY: So, I'll see you tomorrow, ABRAHAM?  You won't regret it. 

ABRAHAM: We'll see.  I really must go.  Give my regards to SYLVIA.

ABRAHAM walks away and leaves Synagogue.

INT. BLUE BAY DINER ­ DAY

ABRAHAM enters Blue Bay Diner and takes a seat at the counter.  Unknown WAITRESS approaches. 

WAITRESS: Here's the menu.  I'll be right back. 

ABRAHAM: Ah, is SARA CASEY working today? 

WAITRESS: No, I, ah, haven't seen her.  Want me to ask the manager? 

ABRAHAM: No.  I can give you my order now.  Veal cutlet Milanese with French fries, peas and carrots, White Rock Root Beer, and a slice of chocolate cake. 

WAITRESS: Coming right up, sir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment