Sunday, December 18, 2022

Abraham's Son, Chapter 12

INT. ABRAHAM'S BEDROOM - DAY 

On Friday morning ABRAHAM sits on his bed, in his pajamas, feet on floor. He is somber after catastrophe previous night when he confronted SARA with his request to have his baby. He should be on his way to work, but it's as if he's frozen. Finally, he places call to cellphone of his assistant, JANET. Her phone rings. She answers.

JANET (O.S.): Hello. 

ABRAHAM: Janet, it's ABRAHAM. How are you? 

JANET (O.S.): ABRAHAM, morning. This is a surprise. What's the matter? 

ABRAHAM: Nothing. Listen, I'm taking some vacation time, today and all next week. I'll be back in the office a week from this coming Monday. Please tell everybody. Okay? 

JANET (O.S.): Sure. But is everything really okay? This is quite unusual for you. I'm concerned. 

ABRAHAM: No reason to be. I'm perfectly okay. I appreciate your concern, but there's nothing wrong. I just need a break. I expect to travel some. I'll see everybody in ten days. Bye. 

JANET (O.S.): Bye, ABRAHAM. Have a good trip. 

ABRAHAM hangs up phone. After waiting some moments, he looks in his wallet and finds card his friend ROBERT gave him. He calls him on his cellphone. Phone rings. ROBERT answers. 

ROBERT (O.S.): Hello. 

ABRAHAM: Robert, it's ABRAHAM, your old friend from Queens. How are you? 

ROBERT (O.S.): ABRAHAM, it's great to hear from you again, especially so soon. What's going on? 

ABRAHAM: I decided to take you up on your offer to visit D.C. How about I come down on Amtrak tonight? We can have dinner. I can stay for a few days. What do you say? 

ROBERT (O.S.): Oh, wow! This is great news. Sure. Let me know when and I'll meet you at Union Station. I have a guest room you can use for as long as you want. 

ABRAHAM: Fine. I'll call you a little later with my arrival time. Bye-bye. 

ROBERT (O.S.): Bye, ABRAHAM. 

They both hang up their phones. ABRAHAM again waits some moments before making another call, this time to his cousin SYLVIA. Phone rings. SYLVIA answers her cellphone. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): Hello. 

ABRAHAM: Sylvia, it's ABRAHAM. How are you? 

SYLVIA (O.S.): ABRAHAM, I'm so glad to hear from you. I'm so happy about you and SANDY. She's the right woman for you.

ABRAHAM: Yes, SANDY's great, but right now I need to talk to you and you have to promise me you won't mention any of it to SANDY. Please, can you do that? 

SYLVIA (O.S.): What's going on? That's a strange request. 

ABRAHAM: Not strange. Necessary. I'm not ready to talk to SANDY about it, but I am with you. Promise? 

SYLVIA (O.S.): Okay. Promise. What? 

ABRAHAM:  I've been thinking a lot lately about having a child of my own. I feel it's something I need in my life, for many reasons. Obviously, there are obstacles. 

SYLVIA (O.S.) (incredulous): ABRAHAM, you're sixty years-old. Not thirty. I'm sorry your child didn't survive, but that time of your life is over. 

ABRAHAM Why? I read all the time about older men, men my age, having children. I'm up to it. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): Okay, you're up to it. How are you gonna get one. Marry a young woman? Adopt? Look for a surrogate mother? What?

ABRAHAM: That's still up in the air. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): You know, this is not gonna sit well with SANDY. She doesn't want you and a baby. This is not the lifestyle she's planning. 

ABRAHAM: I realize that. I'll have to take that risk. But, right now, my priority is a baby, not SANDY. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): Want to know what I think? 

ABRAHAM: That's why I called. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): I think you're crazy. It's foolish. You're mashugana. I can't think of any other way of putting it. Please reconsider, ABRAHAM. 

ABRAHAM: I'll take what you said under consideration. I appreciate your advice. But, again, not a word to SANDY. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): Believe me, she's the last person I would tell this to.

ABRAHAM: You must tell no one. 

SYLVIA (O.S.): Okay, okay. 

ABRAHAM: I'm going to Washington tonight to visit an old friend from high school. I'll be back in a few days. Bye and thanks.

SYLVIA (O.S.): Bye. 

__________

I will be on vacation next Sunday, Christmas Day.  Next post will be January 1, 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment