Sunday, January 29, 2023

Abraham's Son, Chapter 13

INT. INSIDE AMTRAK CAR - NIGHT

ABRAHAM enters train at Penn Station and takes a seat. Train leaves on way to Washington. 

INT. INSIDE UNION STATION, WASHINGTON - NIGHT

ABRAHAM exits train and enters station. ROBERT and ABRAHAM see each other and come together. They embrace.

ROBERT: Welcome to Washington, ABRAHAM. How was the trip?

ABRAHAM: Great! Now I'm hungry. 

ROBERT: I can fix that. Let's go.

ABRAHAM, carrying a bag, and ROBERT walk out of crowded Union Station. 

INT. MASTRO'S STEAKHOUSE - NIGHT

ABRAHAM and ROBERT sit at a table at fashionable restaurant in Washington eating thick, juicy steaks. They talk, but we cannot hear them. 

INT. ROBERT'S SYNAGOGUE IN WASHINGTON - DAY

On Saturday morning, ROBERT and ABRAHAM participate in shabbos services at ROBERT's synagogue, which is crowded. 

EXT. VIETNAM MEMORIAL IN WASHINGTON - DAY

Later on Saturday, ABRAHAM and ROBERT are at the Vietnam Memorial in Washington. ABRAHAM looks for name of his brother who was killed in action in Vietnam. He finds the name, Joseph Shapiro. ABRAHAM stops and stares at the name for a minute with tears in his eyes. 

EXT. INSIDE LINCOLN MEMORIAL - DAY 

ABRAHAM and ROBERT look at the statue of Lincoln and then the two sides of the Memorial showing the two famous speeches he gave. 

EXT ON THE STEP IN FRONT OF LINCOLN MEMORIAL - DAY 

ABRAHAM and ROBERT are descending down from the Memorial.

ABRAHAM: ROBERT, let's sit here a minute. 

ROBERT: Okay. 

They sit down on the steps. 

ABRAHAM: This may sound like a stupid question, but are you happy, ROBERT? 

ROBERT: There are no stupid questions. A professor told me that once. Okay, let me think. (pause) You know, I don't really dwell on happiness. I keep busy, that's what I do. And I am busy, very busy. This is an unusual day off for me. Normally, I'm back in the office after shabbat services. 

ABRAHAM: The reason for my question is I feel there's a gap in my life. Not a woman gap, but...a child gap. I really miss not having a child. How are your children, ROBERT? 

ROBERT: They're all fine, grandkids, too. Don't see them much, but we keep in touch. That's a little weird at your age, you thinking about a child. What's your solution? 

ABRAHAM: Not sure, yet. But, it's become like an obsession. You think I'm mashugana?

ROBERT: (laughing) Who cares? Do what you want? Don't let anybody else tell you how to live your life. You only get one chance and then...and then. 

ABRAHAM: Thanks. 

ABRAHAM and ROBERT get up and start walking away from the Memorial. 

INT. GUEST ROOM AT ROBERT'S HOME - DAY 

ABRAHAM is changing his clothes in ROBERT's guest room when his cellphone rings. He answers it. 

ABRAHAM:  Hello. 

SANDY (O.S.): ABRAHAM, it's SANDY. You weren't at services this morning. I asked SYLVIA about it and she didn't seem concerned, but I worried. What's going on? 

ABRAHAM: Nothing. I'm fine. I'm in Washington...visiting my friend ROBERT.

SANDY (O.S.): What? You left town and didn't tell me. What is that?

ABRAHAM: I'm sorry. I guess I should have told you. 

SANDY (O.S.): You guess? 

ABRAHAM: I'm sorry. I'll...I'll...When I get back, I'll call you and we can do something. 

SANDY (O.S.): Don't take me for granted, ABRAHAM. I have other admirers, you know. 

ABRAHAM: I'm sure. 

SANDY (O.S.): I thought we were starting a relationship. That means two people thinking about each other. Not one person acting on his own. 

ABRAHAM: I...I'm not used to this...being with you as a couple, I mean. I apologize. 

SANDY (O.S.): I'm not sure I accept. I'll think about it. (pause) When will you call me? 

ABRAHAM: I'm not sure when I'll be getting back to New York. It's up in the air. 

SANDY (O.S.): I'm mad at you. 

SANDY hangs up. ABRAHAM is unsure what to do next, how to react to her. 

INT. UNION STATION - DAY 

ABRAHAM is leaving Washington by train Monday morning. He and ROBERT embrace. 

ABRAHAM: Thanks for everything. 

ROBERT: This has been great. I'm glad we're still friends, ABRAHAM. If there's anything you need from me, let me know. Okay? 

ABRAHAM: Okay. Gotta go. Bye. 

ABRAHAM walks through gate towards his train headed to New York. 

EXT. PARK NEAR ABRAHAM'S HOME - DAY 

ABRAHAM, still on vacation from work, sits in park on bench, reading newspaper on Tuesday. He eventually sees a father, 40ish, with a young son doing various activities in park's playground. ABRAHAM puts down newspaper and stares at father and son. 

INT. INSIDE ICE CREAM STORE - DAY 

On Wednesday, ABRAHAM is at ice cream store having a root beer float, sitting at a table. A young father with his son enters store and catches ABRAHAM's attention. He forgets his drink and follows the twosome while they choose what the want until they eventually leave store.

No comments:

Post a Comment