Sunday, February 26, 2023

Abraham's Son, Chapter 14

 INT. KITCHEN OF ABRAHAM'S HOUSE - NIGHT

ABRAHAM makes popcorn in preparation for watching movie on TCM.

INT. LIVING ROOM OF ABRAHAM'S HOUSE - NIGHT

ABRAHAM sits, eats popcorn and watches 1989 film Field of Dreams with Kevin Costner (as Ray Kinsella).  

RAY KINSELLA (O.S.):  Dad...you wanna have a catch?

ABRAHAM turns off TV at end of film, takes empty bowl of popcorn to kitchen and then starts heading to his bedroom.  There is a knock on his front door.  ABRAHAM looks at his watch.  It is about 10:30 PM.  He is surprised somebody would arrive at such a late hour.  ABRAHAM walks to door and calls out.

ABRAHAM:  Who is it?

SARA (O.S.):  SARA.

ABRAHAM slowly opens front door.  The two of them stare at each other in silence for a moment.  Finally...

SARA:  I'm ovulating.

ABRAHAM is shocked by what she said.

SARA:  Can I come in?

ABRAHAM steps aside and gestures to SARA his permission for her to enter house.  She steps in and walks toward area where they had their discussion the previous Thursday.  

ABRAHAM:  Have a seat.

They both sit.

SARA:  Sorry for what I said last week.  I was rude.  I coulda just said no.  (pause)  You've been very nice to me from the start.  Treated me like a friend.  I didn't treat you like a friend last week.  (pause)  I've been doin' a lot a thinkin' since then.  What you said, act of kindness, kinda stuck with me.  You want a kid, your own kid, that's not so crazy.  Maybe bein' pregnant wouldn't be so bad, maybe it's something I should have in my life.  Maybe.  (pause)  So, if you wanna do it with me...tonight...okay.  What do ya wanna do?  

ABRAHAM:  I feel the same as I did last week.   I'm ready.  (pause)  I want you to know...our making love...I thank you ...for doing this.  (pause)  Do you want anything...before we...?  

SARA thinks a minute.

SARA:  Got any Baileys Irish Cream?

ABRAHAM:  I believe I do.  Let me get a couple of glasses.

ABRAHAM goes and finds the bottle and fills two glasses.  He returns and hands one to SARA.  Then he makes a toast.

ABRAHAM:  To our child.

ABRAHAM and SARA each take a sip of Baileys Irish Cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment