Sunday, September 17, 2023

Janice Paige

Janice Paige (originally Donna Mae Tjaden) was born September 16, 1922 in Tacoma, Washington.  After high school, she moved to Los Angeles, California where she became a professional singer and a model.

A Warner Bros. talent agent saw her potential and signed her to a contract. She began co-starring in low-budget musical films, often paired with Dennis Morgan or Jack Carson

Janice Paige co-starred in Romance on the High Seas (1948), the film in which Doris Day made her movie debut. She later co-starred in adventures and dramas, in which she felt out of place. Following her role in Two Gals and a Guy (1951), Janice Paige decided to leave Hollywood.

Janice Paige appeared on Broadway and was a huge hit in the comedy-mystery play, Remains to Be Seen, co-starring Jackie Cooper.  It was staged at the Morosco Theatre from October 3, 1951 until March 22, 1952.

From May 13, 1954 until June 23, 1955, Janice Paige appeared at the St. James Theatre as the female lead, Babe Williams, in the musical, Pajama Game.  One evening during that period (age 8 to age 9), my parents took me to see the play.  

I haven't forgotten Janice Paige after almost 70 years.  A beautiful red-haired woman singing I'm Not At All In Love.

I'm not, at all in love, not at all in love, not I!Not a bitNot a mightThough I'll admit he's quite a hunk a guy

But he's not, my cup of tea, not my cup of tea, not he!Not an ounceNot a pinchHe's just an inch, too sure of himself for me...

Janice Paige returned to the Broadway stage in 1963 (Shubert Theatre) starring in the play, Here's Love.  It was based on the classic film, Miracle on 34th Street.

In 1968, Paige portrayed Mame at the Winter Garden Theatre.  In 1984, she appeared a final time on Broadway, this time at the Music Box Theatre in Alone Together.

Yesterday was Janice Paige's 101st birthday.  Happy birthday, Janice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment