Sunday, November 26, 2023

Abraham's Son, Chapter 23

INT. IKE'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

It is a little before 10 PM.  IKE is sleeping.  ABRAHAM hovers over him, loving him, but counting the seconds until the appointed time when he can enter his bedroom.  Finally, it is 10 PM.  ABRAHAM walks to his bedroom and opens door.

INT. ABRAHAM'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

ABRAHAM enters his bedroom.  He sees a surreal image, with sparkling dark blue lights, an unearthly form, like in a dream.  But it is HELEN.  He remembers her smile.  It is definitely her.  He is convinced.  He wants to hug and kiss her, but she is not flesh and blood.  He gets as close to her as possible.  Tears come to his eyes.  

ABRAHAM:  HELEN, do you know me?

HELEN:  How can I ever forget you, ABRAHAM?  When I can, I remember you.

ABRAHAM:  I love you, HELEN.

HELEN:  I loved you.

ABRAHAM:  Do you still love me?

HELEN:  I loved you.  I know I did.  Everything is in the past.  There is no present, no future.

ABRAHAM:  What is it like to be dead?

HELEN:  For me, there was much pain dying.  I was in agony.  But, then it stopped.  Everything stopped.  There was a calmness...I could rest.  Mostly, I rest.  Sometimes, I can remember the past...like when we met.

ABRAHAM:  I remember that day.

HELEN:  I was sitting on a bench on campus reading a book and you came up to me and asked my name.  I remembered you from class and I had liked the way you looked.  

ABRAHAM:  Yes and you told me your name right away and I sat down and we started talking.

HELEN:  And then we went to have coffee and talked for a long time.  On my way home I could think of nothing but the sound of your voice.  I longed to see you again.  I loved you from the very beginning, ABRAHAM.

ABRAHAM:  Me, too.  Don't I look old, much older than when...

HELEN:  I don't see the physical, but I see your spirit and it is the same as when I was alive.  

ABRAHAM:  What about our baby?

HELEN:  I care for our baby.  But, we both rest a lot.  It is good to rest.

ABRAHAM:  Do you know about ISAAC or IKE as I call him?

HELEN:  He is yours, not mine.  Our baby died.  It stays with me.  

ABRAHAM:  Are you angry about my having IKE?

HELEN:  I am no longer angry about anything.  That is a good thing.

ABRAHAM and HELEN continue talking until 11 PM at which time her image disappears.  It takes him a long time before he can sleep.  He keeps thinking of HELEN and every word of their conversation.  Then he watches TCM until he is exhausted and falls asleep in his chair with the TV still on.


No comments:

Post a Comment