Sunday, July 14, 2024

Yearbook, Chapter 4

The following Friday would be the last high school dance before graduation.  Bubbles accepted my invitation to go there as my date.

Since our late night at Rudy's, we had spent more time together.  I drove her to school a couple of times.  We sat with each other at lunch time in the school cafeteria.

She was much easier to get along with than my ex-girlfriend.  We laughed a lot and never had a fight.

On Friday night I picked her up in my father's car and drove to the school.  It was more crowded than usual.  Most avoided dancing the first few songs, waiting for friends to arrive.

We got in the mood when Chubby Checker and the Twist was played.  It was fun dancing to that.

Bubbles asked if was okay if she left me for some minutes to gab with a couple of her girl friends.  I looked for one of my friends.

As I was wandering about on the crowded gym floor, I ran into the one person I didn't want to see, my ex.  We exchanged glances and she finally broke the ice.

"Where's your friend Bubbles?  Has she already dumped you?"

"No!  She'll be back soon.  How are you?"

"Much better these days.  Wanna dance?"

"No, I don't think so.  I'm here with Bubbles."

"You could do better."

"I'm happier now than before."

"Fuck you!"

And she stormed off.  I turned and continued looking for my buddy.  And then there was Bubbles, standing alone with tears swelling up in her eyes.

"I saw you talking to your ex.  What's going on?"

"Nothing.  We just ran into each other.  I'm happier with you and I told her so."

A big smile grew on her face.

"Are you sure, Bennie?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."  




No comments:

Post a Comment