Sunday, October 13, 2024

Regrets 3

Ernest Borgnine, the actor, made a very positive impression on me during my youth appearing in many films: From Here to Eternity as Sergeant Judson, Vera Cruz as Donnegan, Bad Day at Black Rock as Coley Trimble and especially Marty as Marty Piletti.  

In the first three of the above films, Borgnine portrayed a villainous character.  However, he was the lovable protagonist in Marty.

Between 1951 and 1967, Borgnine appeared in some 37 films.  He was enjoying a very successful career.

After I graduated college in May 1967, I moved to the Detroit Michigan area as my brother Ted lived there.  I met and started dating Bonnie (Bonita) Sobol, whom I married the following year.

One day later in 1967, I found myself with Bonnie and some of her friends in the VIP lounge at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport.  Two of our group were heading out on their honeymoon.

As I didn't know well anyone in the group except for Bonnie, my eyes wandered around the VIP lounge, my first and only time in such an environment.  And there right in front of me, sitting alone on a sofa intently watching TV, was Ernest Borgnine.

Instead of walking over to engage him in conversation, I was frightened at the prospect that he would bite my head off for bothering him.  

In 2012, shortly before his death at 95, I saw his last  interview.  He was asked what he had learning over his long life.  He responded with, "Be nice to people."  That quote was reinforced by what I read in his autobiography and what I saw in numerous videos about his traveling around the USA.  

I regret that I did not have the courage to talk to Ernest Borgnine when I had the chance.  I am convinced that he would not have bitten my head off.  Quite the opposite I am sure.  

Take advantage of all opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment