Sunday, July 18, 2021

Roommates

From September 1963 until May 1965 I had a total of 5 roommates while living in the dormitories (upper and lower quads) of the University of Pennsylvania near 37th and Spruce Streets.  In my opinion, I got along fine, especially with Scott Kahn, Mike Parr and Ralph Pincus. 

Up until very near my graduation from Penn in May 1967, I fully expected to join the United States Air Force as I had been planning for months.  What a shock it was when my gastroenterologist told me to forget about it.  The Air Force would (and did) cancel my appointment to their Officer Candidate School because of my ulcerative colitis diagnosis.  

After a short period of disappointment, I re-focused my attention to what I would do next.  I decided to go to Detroit, Michigan where my brother Ted,  his wife and newborn son lived.  

Once there, I quickly bought a car, a late model Corvair, and got a job at Ernst & Ernst, a big CPA firm.  Next on my list was to find a place to live.  

As opposed to my thinking (getting my own apartment), I was strongly advised to look for an apartment with a roommate.  I followed the advice.  A local newspaper had listings with such.

My first experience with a roommate in Michigan was with a red-haired young man who offered to let me sleep on his couch.  For some crazy reason, I accepted.    

The arrangement didn't last long.  Even as I tried to be agreeable, I think my presence in his apartment made my roommate uncomfortable.  I was asked to leave ASAP.  

My second roommate, whom I'll refer to as PW, had a two bedroom apartment which offered me some privacy.  However, he was an unusual character.  

PW once told me he would do anything for money.  I came to believe him.  

PW sold me his furniture as he was getting married and moving out soon.  However, he wanted my money up front and got me to agree to let him keep my furniture until he left a few weeks later.  Unbelievable but true!  

PW even tried to sell me the air conditioner that came with the apartment.  I agreed, but then, feeling sorry for me, he explained who actually owned the air conditioner.

PW finally moved out and I got what I had always wanted, an apartment of my own.  In retrospect, why would I want to share an apartment with a stranger?  It's difficult enough when you're sharing an apartment with a loved one.  

1 comment:

  1. I remember that story, and used to know the name. Maybe it will come to me.

    ReplyDelete