Sunday, July 31, 2022

Abraham's Son, Chapter 7

INT. CHURCH ­ DAY

SARA participates in Sunday morning mass that just ends.  FATHER motions to SARA that he wants to talk to her.  They approach each other. 

FATHER: SARA, how are you? 

SARA: Fine, FATHER, and you? 

FATHER: Fine.  SARA, remember we talked last week about me finding a nice young man for you? 

SARA: Of course.  Any luck? 

FATHER: Hope so.  Stay here.  I'm going to get DANIEL.

SARA sits down while FATHER leaves to find the young man.  After some moments, FATHER and DANIEL arrive.  DANIEL appears to be young, quite tall, thin and a bit shy. 

FATHER: SARA, I'd like you to meet DANIEL who is from a good Catholic family.  DANIEL, this is SARA.  Perhaps, the two of you can sit here and get acquainted.  Take as much time as you want.

FATHER leaves the two alone.  There is an awkward silence for a moment as neither takes the initiative.  Finally... 

SARA: How ya doin'? 

DANIEL: Fine.  You? 

SARA: Same.  By the way, it's SARA CASEY.  I come from Michigan.  Not today, but a year ago.  I work as a waitress...Blue Bay Diner on Francis Lewis Boulevard.  You?

DANIEL: DANIEL KOWALSKI.  I'm from here...in Queens...grew up in Ridgewood...I don't think I could find Michigan on a map...I work with cars...a mechanic...at a gas station on Northern Boulevard...always loved cars, all cars...trained after high school. 

SARA: You're pretty tall.  Play basketball? 

DANIEL: In high school, but I sat mostly.  Got pushed around too much.  Too skinny. 

SARA: Can you dunk? 

DANIEL: What? 

SARA: (laughing) I was just thinking of White Men Can't Jump with Woody Harrelson...a basketball movie...You seen it? 

DANIEL: I don't know that one...but I don't see movies much...Isn't he too old to play basketball? 

SARA: No, it was made twenty years ago... the movie...So, I have my own place in Jackson Heights.  Where do you live? 

DANIEL: With my folks.  I'd be a little nervous on my own, besides, my mom does everything for me, cooks what I like, washes my clothes.  Everything!    

SARA: How old are you? 

DANIEL: Twenty-­one.  You? 

SARA: Thirty.  I think you're young.  Do you? 

DANIEL: Yeah, I guess.  (pause)  I haven't much experience with girls. 

SARA: What about women? 

DANIEL: What?  

SARA: Never mind.  Look, I think you're a nice boy.  But, I gotta go.  Nice meeting ya.  Bye.

SARA gets up to leave and briskly walks towards exit.  Before she can leave the church, FATHER runs her down. 

FATHER: So, SARA, what do you think about DANIEL? 

SARA: Young, too young.  He's twenty-­one, I'm thirty.  I'd be interested in a nice man, FATHER, not a nice boy.  Bye.

She leaves the church.  FATHER is a bit chagrined. 

EXT. IN FRONT OF CINEMA ­ DAY 

ABRAHAM waits in front of cinema.  After some moments, SARA arrives on foot and approaches ABRAHAM. 

ABRAHAM: Hi, SARA.  How are you? 

SARA: Fine.  And you? 

ABRAHAM: Great!  Good to see you again.  What should we see today? 

SARA: How about Tomorrowland with George Clooney.  A review in the paper said it's good. 

ABRAHAM: Okay.  Let's buy our tickets.

ABRAHAM and SARA get in line so each can buy their own ticket for the movie.  After, they enter the cinema together.

INT. LOBBY OF CINEMA ­ DAY

ABRAHAM and SARA pass buy the refreshment stand where ABRAHAM buys a big bag of popcorn.  Then the two walk to the room where their movie is showing and enter it.

INT. ROOM AT CINEMA ­ DAY

ABRAHAM and SARA walk to their seats and sit down next to each other.  Movie starts. 

INT. COFFEE SHOP NEAR CINEMA ­ DAY

After watching movie together, ABRAHAM and SARA sit drinking coffee and talking. 

SARA: So, as I was saying, last week the FATHER at my church said he'd find me a nice young man.  You know, so many guys try to hit on me at the diner.  Hate it.  Thought the church would be better.  But, today, the FATHER introduces me to a kid, almost ten years younger than me...and so immature.  He likes his mommy to take care of him.  Pathetic.

ABRAHAM: You're looking for a boyfriend? 

SARA: Well, it'd be nice to have one.  Someone to talk to, to do things with.  (pause)  You've been alone for many years.  You don't want a girlfriend? 

ABRAHAM: Wait a second.  I enjoy your company, SARA.  You're a nice young woman.  But, I have no interest in you becoming my girlfriend.  I'm still in love with my wife and that's all I want.  I don't mean to offend you. 

SARA: No, no, you misunderstood me.  You're too old for me.  And you're not Catholic.  I was just curious, that's all.  I enjoy your company as well.  Let's just be friends.

ABRAHAM smiles. 

ABRAHAM: Okay, friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment