Sunday, March 12, 2023

Nate's Birth

My first grandson, Nate David Gerstein, was born on March 9, 2007 (just turned 16) at Weill Cornell Medical Center on the upper east side of Manhattan.  And where was I at that memorable moment?  Not at the hospital.

When I was working in Manhattan (Seagram's and the Anti-Defamation League), I went to a dentist on Park Avenue.  He was the only male along with a harem of a number of women: hygienists, receptionists, assistants, bookkeepers, housekeepers, etc.

A few years after I stopped going to that dentist, I received a birthday gift from his office: a coupon for a free massage at an establishment nearby.  I saved the coupon for some time in the future.  

The future occurred in 2007.  My daughter Rachel was about to give birth for the first time.  I was at the hospital waiting for my first grandchild (sex unknown).  

I was told by Rachel's doctor that the birth would not occur for many hours and I should find something to occupy my time.  I followed this advice.

Since the massage establishment was not far from the hospital, I thought this would be a good time to use my birthday present.  So off I went.

I don't remember too much about the massage, only what happened afterwards.  I called Bonita (my ex-wife and Rachel's mother) to find out what was happening.  Well, it had already happened.  I missed the birth of Nate, my first grandson.  Mother and child doing fine, no thanks to me.  

Over the years, this event has become a family joke.  But, this error was not my fault.  To quote Rick from Casablanca, "I was misinformed."     

No comments:

Post a Comment