Sunday, April 30, 2023

April 30, 1930

On Wednesday, April 30, 1930 (93 years ago), my parents, Margaret Karch and Harry Lasky wed in Oswego, New York.  Is Wednesday a typical day to get married?  

They honeymooned in Bermuda.  

191 days (27 weeks) after their wedding, on November 7, 1930, my mother delivered a stillborn female child at the Oswego Hospital.  Was it a premature birth?

After graduating from the Oswego Normal School (now the State University of New York at Oswego), my mother signed on to teach for a year in the Niagara Falls, NY school system.  Based on my memory of having seen that contractual agreement, it would have ended in June 1930.  My mother presumably ended the agreement two months early to get married.  Why?

My parents met in 1925 when my mother was eighteen years-old.  My father was twenty-three or twenty-four. 

My parents met when my father was taking room and board at my mother's family's home as he had recently moved to Oswego for work.  My grandparents provided the kosher environment which my father wanted.

My mother confessed to me that she fell in love with my father at first sight, but it took him five years to agree to marry her.  In the mean time, he confessed to me that he dated other women.  

My late brother Ted told me that my mother's sister (Aunt Frances, who died in 2004) told him my mother was pregnant "when she walked down the aisle."  How did she know that?

Neither of my parents ever mentioned the stillborn birth to me. 

What ever is the truth about April 30, 1930, it is important to note that my parents remained happily married for more than fifty-one years until my father's death on September 17, 1981.  They always called each other "sweet."  A good memory of mine.



         

2 comments:

  1. You wrote: "My mother confessed to me that she fell in love with my father at first sight, but it took him five years to agree to marry her. In the mean time, he confessed to me that he dated other women."
    Do you mean that your Dad confessed that to you? or to your Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, was there a Nestle in White Plains?

    ReplyDelete