Sunday, December 17, 2023

Abraham's Son, Chapter 24

 EXT. PARK NEAR ABRAHAM'S HOUSE - DAY

ABRAHAM and MESSENGER talk while sitting on bench.

MESSENGER:  So, you enjoyed your time with HELEN?

ABRAHAM:  Yes.  Now I believe you are who you say you are.  What does God want of me?

MESSENGER:  Finally.  We should have done this two days ago...You read the newspapers.  The world is in a dangerous situation.  I'm talking especially about what is being referred to as climate change.  

ABRAHAM:  Yeah, I agree.  I think everyone, especially government, should do what they can to counteract what's been happening to the environment.

MESSENGER:   Well, the situation is far worse than what your scientists say.  If something drastic is not done soon, life on earth will end in about 100 years.

ABRAHAM:  Oh, my God.

MESSENGER:  Precisely.  However, God is very encouraged by this United Nations proposal on climate change.  Unfortunately, the U.S. president, a leader in the world, opposes it.  This has created a dangerous situation.  This is where you come in, sort of like Moses going to the Egyptian Pharaoh.  

ABRAHAM:  What can I do?

MESSENGER:  You are a friend of ROBERT SILVER.

ABRAHAM:  Yeah.  We met in high school.  Saw him again a few years ago.

MESSENGER:  He has become the president's special trusted adviser.  If he can become convinced the U.N. proposal is worthwhile, there's a good chance he can persuade the president.  You must go to him...as soon as possible...and persuade ROBERT SILVER.

ABRAHAM:  I can try.  I'll do my best.

MESSENGER:  That's not enough.  Yesterday, I mentioned consequences.  Well, here it is.  You must succeed.  If not, you will be punished...severely.  As punishment, you will have to sacrifice your son.  

ABRAHAM:  What?  I can't...I won't do that.  I can never harm my son.  You never mentioned this yesterday.

MESSENGER:  You received a very special opportunity almost nobody gets, to talk to the dearly departed.  This is the price you accepted.

ABRAHAM:  I didn't accept that.

MESSENGER:  I said consequences.  This is the consequence.  Look, if you succeed, you won't have to worry about any sacrifice.  So succeed.  

ABRAHAM has a very worried expression on his face.  Before he can say anything more, the MESSENGER is gone.

____________

Next blog post will be Sunday, January 7, 2024.


No comments:

Post a Comment