Sunday, April 14, 2024

More Oswego Friends

 I ran into more Oswego friends at the twenty-five year Oswego High School reunion in August of 1988.  Bob Thayer didn't recognize me at first because of my beard, but he told me later that he knew me by my voice.

In 2005, I was in Oswego and looked up Bob.  We had dinner together and later he introduced me to his son.  Subsequently, we lost touch.

Also at the reunion, I spent a lot of time talking to Linda Harper (Kulp).  In the yearbook, she had written, "This may sound a bit dumb - but these last three years have been the best I've known.  Thanks for the inspirations or your inspirations I should say - I must confess when you go away to college I'll probably miss you - as I would miss a best friend."

Linda and I got together again with our sons at a football game at Penn and again with my New York friend (Joe) in Oswego.  However, our friendship disintegrated after she got involved with the right wing Tea Party movement with which I disagreed.

I strongly believe Nancy Kane wanted to be my girlfriend sophomore and junior years of high school.  I was put off by her aggressive behavior, but in retrospect it wouldn't have been such a bad idea.  

I remember Nancy calling me at my home around the time of our high school graduation to mend fences and we had a nice chat.  About 40 years later I called her (now known as Maria).  I asked her a lot of questions about what she had been doing, but she didn't seem very interested in my life.  

Betty Tucker (Sanfelippo) found me on the Internet around the time of our 50th reunion in 2013.  It coincided with my wedding to Cristina, July 13th, so I couldn't attend.

Betty and I met a few years later in South Bend, Indiana.  She was on her way from Oswego to her home in Wisconsin and I was there visiting my son who was there for work.  We met again in New York City some months later.  At least I still have one friend from dear old Oswego High.   

No comments:

Post a Comment