Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Paladin, Chapter 21

 INT - GRACE & CHARLES HOME - NIGHT

CHARLES starts to enter their bedroom.  GRACE sits on edge of bed wearing a nightgown pulled down to reveal her breasts.  When CHARLES sees her, he stops for a moment, then retreats closing door behind him.  His face shows disappointment.

INT - PALADIN'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

PALADIN is sleeping when there is a knock on his door.  He rises quickly and grabs his gun.  He slowly opens the door and is surprised to see GRACE standing there.  

PALADIN:  GRACE, what are you doing here?  What time is it?

GRACE:  It's very late.  May I come in?

PALADIN:  Certainly.

PALADIN quickly puts on more appropriate clothing.  GRACE enters and sits in only chair in room.  Door is closed.

GRACE:  You said I was an attractive woman.  My husband doesn't think so.

PALADIN:  Your husband's a fool.

GRACE:  I threw myself at him tonight and he wasn't interested at all.  I need to reassure myself that I'm really a woman a man would want.

PALADIN:  You are.

GRACE:  You seem to be the only man who thinks so.

PALADIN:  You're a married woman.  Most men won't attempt to show you how they feel.

GRACE:  Most men?  What about you?  Are you only a talker?

PALADIN, upon reflection, approaches GRACE.  He holds her face in his hands and gently kisses her lips.  The kiss lasts for several seconds.

PALADIN:  I find you a very desirable woman, GRACE.  Unfortunately, you're married and in my line of work I cannot commit myself to a woman.  

GRACE:  CHARLES never kissed me like that.  Nobody ever kissed me like that.

The door is flung open and POLLYANNA is standing there wearing riding clothes as if she is on her way back to her ranch.

POLLYANNA:  Well, PALADIN, you are some hypocrite.  GRACE, strange to find you here.  CHARLES will be very interested to hear this.

POLLYANNA leaves.  PALADIN and GRACE look at each other and start to laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment