Sunday, October 30, 2016

Best of Intentions, Chapter 4

Ben Johnson runs up the stairs and enters the U. S. Post Office on West Oneida Street in Oswego.  He spots a postal clerk waiting for his next customer.
"What can I do for ya, Mr. Johnson?"

"How much is a stamp for a letter to Mexico?"

"Mexico?"


"Yeah, I'm writing a professor there for a project I'm working on."

After searching for stamps, the postal clerk hands him two.  "This'll do ya, Mr. Johnson."

After paying for the stamps, Ben walks to a nearby counter where he places them on an envelope addressed to Rita.  He drops it into the mail chute.

Days later, Patricia, Rita's live-in maid, hands the envelope to Rita as she is sitting in her favorite chair reading the newspaper in the living room of her house in Mexico City. 

"Rita, here's a letter for you."

Rita puts the newspaper down as she curiously examines the envelope.  Her face shows surprise as she sees it is from Ben. 

"Thank you, Patricia.  I'm going to read it in my room."

Rita's bedroom is large and well decorated with hints of Mexican art and culture.  She lies on her bed reading Ben's letter.  Her expression turns to one of joy.

A couple of weeks later, Rita is sitting alone at a table for two in a busy, elegant restaurant, waiting for her brother, Miguel.  She's drinking a cocktail, trying to calm her nerves.  After some moments, Miguel arrives and joins her, kissing her cheek.

"How are you, my darling sister?"

"I'm well, and you?"

"Couldn't be better.  You're already drinking.  (to the waiter) I'll have what she's having."

Rita takes the final gulp of her drink and puts the glass down.
"(also to the waiter) Another for me as well."

"What's the matter, Rita?  This is not like you."

"I need strength.  I need a favor from you, a big favor."

"Relax.  You know I'd do anything for you."

"I want to invite my American friend, Ben Johnson, for Christmas.  And I need you to be there...with a guest, perhaps your American girlfriend...to insure the proprieties."

"Are you crazy?  If you want a man, there are plenty of suitable ones here I can introduce you to."

"Like Eduardo?  He was the worst."

"OK.  So I've introduced you to some fools, but to choose an American...you know what they think of us."

"Not all.  I think he's different.  And I want to know him better.  Please do this for me."

Miguel hesitates.  "OK, my sister.  I can never say no to you.  I love you very much."

"Thank you, Miguel."

The drinks arrive and the two siblings smile broadly at each other.  They take their drinks in hand and make a toast.  At a nearby table, Jon, from U.S. Army Intelligence, sits with another man, a Mexican.  They speak in muffled tones so as not to be overheard.

"Can you confirm this information about Karchevsky?" asked Jon.

"Yes.  My friend on the inside is very reliable.  I trust him completely.  He's seen a lot."

"You better be right because this is going up the ladder.  Certain people need to know what's going on.  This could be big."



   

No comments:

Post a Comment