Sunday, June 9, 2024

Hiding in a Hotel Room

 As I have previously mentioned, my spring break trip with my parents to Miami Beach in 1963 was a many faceted experience for me.

I met Cassius Clay, soon to become Muhammed Ali, at the Fifth Street Gym.

I won a dance contest at a night club doing the twist.

I went with my Uncle Sam Friedland (really a cousin by marriage) and a couple of teenage girls from Rochester, NY on a trip to the beach in Fort Lauderdale to check out who was wearing Champion clothing.  He was a salesman for the company.

I recently mentioned an anecdotal story related to a waitress in the hotel coffee shop.

Now, I want to talk about an embarrassing memory.  The hotel where we were staying was throwing a party for its teenage guests.  As a seventeen year-old, I qualified.

My reaction at the time was fear, fear of being in an uncomfortable situation (a party with boys and girls).  I thought it best to avoid uncomfortable situations.  I should have felt that this was a wonderful opportunity that I had to take advantage of.

So, what did I do?  I hid in our hotel room.  But that did not prevent a young girl from doing her best to rid me of my fears.

Somehow, this girl, who was also a guest at the hotel, discovered where my room was.  She had the courage to knock on the door of a complete stranger.  I let her in.  We were all alone.  

As best she could, she tried to convince me to come to the party and that if I did, I would have a good time.  And how did I reward this girl who risked humiliation and embarrassment?  

I didn't go to the party.  I stayed in the room all night.  What a dope.  She must have thought me a coward.  And I was.  I shouldn't have let fear control my behavior.



No comments:

Post a Comment