Sunday, June 30, 2024

Yearbook, Chapter 3

On Friday night, I picked up Bubbles at her home in my father's car.  We drove to the movies and I parked in the adjacent lot.

We saw Bye Bye Birdie starring Ann-Margret and Bobby Rydell, portraying two high school sweethearts.  Before the show, I bought us a big bag of salty popcorn and a large coke with two straws.

It was hard to take my eyes off Ann-Margret, but Bubbles was sitting close by on my right.  At a discreet moment, I put my right arm around her shoulders.  She held my right hand with her left.

After the show, I said, "How did ya like it?"

"I loved it.  Thanks for taking me!"

Then she leaned over and kissed me on my cheek.

I followed up with, "How 'bout we drive out to Rudy's (restaurant by the lake)?"

"Great idea, Bennie."

 At Rudy's, we each had a hot dog and a beer.  Then, we walked over to a more secluded area.  I showed off my skill at skipping rocks into the lake.

Finally, she said, "You know, I've had a crush on you for some time.

"I wish you'd have let me know."

"I did...in the yearbook."

"I mean before.  I'm kind of shy around girls."

"Before you had a girlfriend."

"Well, that's history.  We fought all the time."

"I think you're a swell guy.  I hope you ask me out again."

"I sure will...I think you're a very pretty girl."

She moved closer to me, put her arms around my neck and we started kissing on our lips.  It was heavenly.

I drove her home.  After I parked, we made out in the car.  I told her I'd call her the next day.  I slept very well that night.  I think she did, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment